June 25 (Reuters) – A human rights group that has attracted millions of views on YouTube to testimonies of people claiming their families disappeared in China’s Xinjiang region transfers its videos to the little-known service Odysee after some were removed by Google. owned by the streaming giant (GOOGL.O), two sources told Reuters.
The Atajurt Kazakh Human Rights channel, which has posted nearly 11,000 videos to YouTube totaling more than 120 million views since 2017, was blocked on June 15 after twelve of its videos were reported for violating its “cyberbullying” policy. and harassment â.
The channel’s administrators had appealed the blocking of the twelve videos between April and June, with some reinstated – but YouTube did not explain why others were being kept out of public view, administrators told Reuters.
Following Reuters inquiries about the reason for the channel’s deletion, YouTube restored it, explaining that it had received several so-called “strikes” over videos of people holding up ID cards. to prove that they were related to the missing, in violation of a YouTube policy. which prohibits personally identifiable information from appearing in its content. They re-established the channel on June 18 but asked Atajurt to scramble the ID cards.
Atajurt is reluctant to comply, the channel’s administrator said, fearing it could compromise the reliability of the videos. Fearing further blockage by YouTube, they decided to save the content on Odysee, a website built on a blockchain protocol called LBRY, designed to give creators more control. Around 975 videos have been moved so far.
Even as the admins moved content, they received another round of automated messages from YouTube indicating that the videos in question had been removed from public view, this time for fear they would promote criminal organizations. violent.
“There is another excuse every day. I never trusted YouTube,” Serikzhan Bilash, one of the founders of Atajurt, told Reuters in a telephone interview. “But we are no longer afraid, because we rely on LBRY. The most important thing is the safety of our equipment.”
Bilash, who has been repeatedly arrested in Kazakhstan for his work and threatened with seven years in prison if he does not stop his activism, said Atajurt’s equipment, including hard drives and cellphones, had been repeatedly confiscated by authorities, making YouTube the only place where their entire video collection has been stored.
The Kazakh activist, born in Xinjiang, fled to Istanbul last year after threats from the Kazakh authorities. He said government advisers told him in 2017 to stop using the word “genocide” to describe the situation in Xinjiang, an order he believed came from Chinese government pressure on Kazakhstan.
YouTube said posts related to promoting violent criminal organizations were automated and unrelated to creator content, but videos were kept private to allow administrators to make edits.
“I FEELING I HAVE LOST EVERYTHING”
UN experts and rights groups estimate that more than a million people, mostly Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities, have been detained in recent years in a vast camp system in Xinjiang. Many former detainees said they had been subjected to ideological training and abuse in the camps. China denies all accusations of abuse.
In recent years, YouTube has restricted more content amid growing surveillance of cyberbullying, disinformation and hate speech online. Politicians have ensnared many channels, including those of far-right commentators, forcing them to seek refuge on social media services such as Parler which tout more openness.
But Atajurt officials fear that pro-China groups that deny human rights abuses in Xinjiang will use YouTube’s reporting features to remove their content by reporting it en masse, triggering an automatic block. Representatives shared videos on WhatsApp and Telegram with Reuters which they say describe how to report Atajurt’s YouTube videos.
They also reported YouTube channels with videos of Serikzhan Bilash’s face superimposed on animals like monkeys and pigs which they said disparaged Bilash’s character and work.
YouTube said channels are always welcome to switch to alternatives. Its policies prohibit directing abusive attention by posting non-public personal information, such as names and addresses.
The service makes exceptions to certain rules for educational, documentary or science videos – but Atajurt’s videos did not meet those requirements to a sufficient degree, according to YouTube.
âWe welcome responsible efforts to document important human rights cases around the world,â the company said. “We recognize that the intent of these videos was not to maliciously reveal PIIâ¦ and are working with Atajurt Kazakh to explain our policies.”
Odysee told Reuters he welcomed and supported Atajurt.
Bilash, who was arrested several times in Kazakhstan for his work with Atajurt and eventually fled to Istanbul, said Atajurt’s equipment, including hard drives and cellphones, had been confiscated several times by the authorities, making YouTube the only place where their entire video collection was stored.
Atajurt plans to continue uploading to YouTube for as long as possible.
âWe will never remove it,â Bilash said, citing the service’s importance to the general public.
âThe day YouTube took our channel off, I felt like I lost everything in the worldâ¦ the new channel doesn’t have that many subscribers,â he said, âbut it sure is. . “
Reporting by Victoria Waldersee in Lisbon, Paresh Dave in San Francisco; edited by Kenneth Li, Vanessa O’Connell and Nick Zieminski
Our Standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.